But there are a couple of films worth mentioning before Thursday's edition arrives;
IN THE NEXT DAY OR TWO...
* Film Society is playing David Lynch's ERASERHEAD (1977) at 6:30 PM Monday 29th April.
* NZIFF Autumn Events has three screenings of WHERE THE CONDORS FLY (DONDE VUELAN LOS CÓNDORE) starting Tuesday 30th April. It follows an enthusiastic director as he travels the globe shooting "¡VIVAN LAS ANTIPODAS!"
NZIFF Autumn Events also has a bunch of other things that continue into this week;
- NZIFF Autumn Events: GREGORY CREWDSON: BRIEF ENCOUNTERS is a cool documentary about this cinematic photographer I'd never heard of before. I'm not saying it's the most well-made doco ever, but I adored that look into his world.
- NZIFF Autumn Events: FROM UP ON POPPY HILL (コクリコ坂から) is the second Studio Ghibli effort from Miyazaki's kid Goro. This is the English Language Version, but these Ghibli things usually even get that part of it right.
AND IN GENERAL RELEASE:
* IRON MAN 3 is pretty fun and should be here for aaaages now.
* The new EVIL DEAD remake is only playing at Queen St. Event and Sylvia Park Hoyts, and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of screenings either. Might be best to catch that one sooner rather than later.
* The 4th doco about the West Memphis Three, WEST OF MEMPHIS, is only playing at Rialto Newmarket.
* FIRST POSITION is a doco about ballet teens...
* ...there's a new Punjabi comedy called LUCKY DI UNLUCKY STORY...
* ...and the new Met Opera - Donizetti’s MARIA STUARDA - has arrived.