Sadly, we haven't seen any of these films, so we're going on instinct here: we do hope to have some reviews in time for NEXT weekend's screenings, but in the meantime, here's what our guts, friends, or trusted critics tell us we should check out.
9 MUSES OF STAR EMPIRE
- A gruelling year in the making of a manufactured Korean girl group.
THE DEFECTOR: ESCAPE FROM NORTH KOREA
- Dude who sneaks Koreans across the border to China.
- Detroit is falling to bits.
THE ONLY SON
- Stack of Westernised siblings may have to move to Tibetian village to look after their folks.
ONLY THE YOUNG
- 2 young skater dudes are inseparable - until one of them falls for a chick.
- N.Korea's hatred for the West uncovered in YouTube movie (actually a kiwi's social experiment).
REPORTERO + ABUELAS
- ZETA's journalism about Mexican corruption can lead to death / 9min Arg anim-doco.
SEEKING ASIAN FEMALE
- 65yo American finds his Chinese mail-order bride isn't as submissive as expected.
THE SNAPPER SANDWICH
- Live narration & music from filmmaker Tony Burt from Maungaraki.
TALES FROM THE ORGAN TRADE
- street brokers, rogue surgeons, desperate patients, narrated by Cronenberg.
Cosign for DETROPIA, ONLY THE YOUNG, TALES FROM THE ORGAN TRADE, and SEEKING ASIAN FEMALE, plus:
- Follows 5 kids from a poor public school that somehow pumps out chess-champs.
HOW TO SURVIVE A PLAGUE
- Activists battle AIDS, defied Govt. agencies, infiltrated industry & helped fix it.
THE INVISIBLE WAR
- The secrets epidemic of institutionalised rape and rape culture within the military.
- 3yrs with the Turkish teen dubbed the Dutch Norah Jones.
- History of tiny music town in Alabama; Dylan, Stones, Skynyrd, Redding, Garfunkel, et al.
- Follows 3 females - 12, 22 & 35 - in the days of internet porn, social media, Labiaplasty, etc.
And here's everything else - maybe there's some treasures in here as well; please share with us if you find any!
BIKES FOR AFRICA
- Kiwi bike/live/work every continent before 30, sets them up a bike workshop in Nambia.
- Boxing trainer in poor rural China trains kids rigorously.
CUTTING LOOSE / MONDAYS AT RACINE
- Scottish jail haircutting competition / Hairdressing for cancer patients.
DANCE FOR ME
- Follows a 15yo Russian shipped to Denmark to be the perfect dance partner for another li'l guy.
FAMILY TIME / NYOSHA
- Gay Israeli films his bickering family's RV trip to the Grand Canyon / 12min clay-mation.
- White kiwi returns to find her black friend who Mugabe may've killed in Zimbabwe 20yrs ago.
FIRST COMES LOVE
- 41yo director films her solo pregnancy.
THE FOUR YEAR PLAN
- Behind the scenes with the billionaires that bought the QPR English football team.
GOING UP THE STAIRS / INOCENTE
- 50yo Iranian needs permission to exhibit art / Li'l San Diego face painter.
- Director tracks her Dad, a Cali dude who became famous flamenco guitarist with 5 families.
HENS' NIGHT / THE GREEN CHAIN
- Kiwis fight Dunedin battery farm / dude's 30yr fight over sawmill PCP deaths.
HER MASTER'S VOICE
- Ventriloquist goes to get her inheritance of retired dummies when her lover/ mentor dies.
I AM BREATHING
- Paralysed 33yo dying of Motor Neuron Disease blogs for his 1yo with voice recognition.
I AM ELEVEN
- Interviews with kids around the world, comparing what it's like to be 11yo.
THE IRAN JOB
- US B-Baller joined Iranian B-Ball team and helped spark free speech, prelude to Arab Spring.
THE ISLAND PRESIDENT
- Prez of the Maldives' global campaign to save his 2000 islands from climate change.
LAST CALL AT THE OASIS
- Jessica Yu documents the World's Water Crisis with Erin Brockovich's help.
THE MACHINE WHICH MAKES EVERYTHING DISAPPEAR
- Georgian teens audition, and tell of their country.
MISSING IN THE LAND OF GODS
- Aussie parents still looking for their son in India 6yrs after he walked off.
MR. CAO GOES TO WASHINGTON
- Follows passionate New Orleans Vietnamese congressman, Obama's pal.
MY FATHER AND THE MAN IN BLACK
- Director's Dad used to manage Johnny Cash - and killed himself in '05.
OUTLAWED IN PAKISTAN / SAVING FACE
- 13yo raped & ordered killed / Pakistani women deal with acid attacks!
A PLACE AT THE TABLE
- Follows 3 American families struggling to afford food. Jeff Bridges chimes in.
PRETTY BRUTAL / POUTERS
- 3 kiwis train together to scrap in roller derby / UK rivals in pigeon-stealing hobby.
RAFEA: SOLAR MAMA
- Jordanian desert woman studies solar engineering against the wishes of hubby/ society.
RED WHITE BLACK & BLUE
- US teens on an NZ Rugby Tour, ahead of Olympic Rugby's reinstatement in 2016.
ROAD TO THE GLOBE / A DELICATE CANVAS
- Maori Shakespeare in London / Kiwi hiker makes nature art.
THE RUSSIAN WINTER
- John Forté was with The Fugees at 21, then jailed for drugs, now fresh & touring Russia.
- A Muslim girl locked up by her family for 25yrs (no study, forced marriage) became famous poet.
- Aussie sex-worker has clients with disabilities and wants to deriminalise prostitution.
SHADOWS OF LIBERTY
- Don't believe the news. Media conglomerates, monopolies & the loss of unbiased info.
SOLDIER ON THE ROOF
- Jews, Christians & Muslims living in Hebron, with armed soldiers on the rooftops.
THIS BAND IS SO GORGEOUS
- British punk band Sham 69 - now middle-aged - reunite & tour China.
- Jeremy Irons reckons Earth is out of space due to rubbish. China, Lebanon, Jakarta…Everest??
THE TSUNAMI AND THE CHERRY BLOSSOM / SCATTERED
- Japan tsunami recovery / Late-Dad's videos.
UNRAVELED: THE 750 MILLION DOLLAR THIEF
- 60 days of house arrest with a famed Ponzi scheme criminal.
THE WAITING ROOM
- A look at patients & staff in an American hospital dealing mainly with uninsured patients.
THE WORLD ACCORDING DICK CHENEY
- A frank look at the man, his troubled youth, his controversial choices.
A WORLD NOT OURS
- 3 generations of a Palestinian family's footage at their Lebanese refugee camp.