Wednesday, December 5, 2012
In Cinemas: December 6 - 12
* Well, THE ORATOR (O Le Tulafale) cleaned up at The Moas on Tuesday Night, so it's back on the big screen at Manukau Event this week.
* Bollywood flick KHILADI 786 hits certain multiplexes this week. It's s'posed to be an action comedy, but this colourful music video makes it look more Gungnam Style than anything...
* The well-loved POLISSE is a gritty crime-drama that has been compared to THE WIRE, only set in a Parisian Child Protection Unit. Only screening in Rialto's e-Cinema.
* Speaking of which, their e-cinema also sees the common folk take on Donald Trump in the documentary YOU'VE BEEN TRUMPED, also playing at The Monterey.
* But perhaps everybody is saving their pennies for THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY opening Wednesday midnight. Confusingly available in 2D, 3D, 3D High Frame Rate or 3D IMAX!
REPERTORY / ONE-OFF SCREENINGS:
* Now, while I may put in an appearance at the Middle Earth movie above, the only film event I can think about is THE FATSO 13TH ANNUAL 24 HOUR MOVIE MARATHON. Locked in The Hollywood Cinema from 2:30 PM Saturday till 2:30 PM-ish Sunday, I'm hoping we get through 14 of the most bizarre, trashy, crap abominations imaginable. I cannot wait.
* The latest collection of cartoon episodes to hit the cinemas is REGULAR SHOW, playing at both Event and Hoyts on Saturday and Sunday. Wonder if I can squeeze that in before the marathon...?
* There will be a FREE screening at Silo Park of the 2002 spelling bee comedy-doc SPELLBOUND at 9 PM Friday. Take a picnic blanket and go laugh at nerdy children with the whole family. FREE!
* Also FREE, the Auckland Art Gallery is playing the 1997 hip hop doco RHYME AND REASON at Sunday 1 PM (with a lecture about the history of American hip hop afterwards, too). Featuring Biggie & Tupac, Wu-Tang members, Nas, Q-Tip, Chuck D, pretty much everybody. Even this guy:
* At 7:30 PM Monday, Uxbridge Arts Cinema Club is playing some opera thing from 2005 called GIUSEPPE VERDI'S RIGOLETTO STORY for only $8.
* The latest in the Metropolitan Opera series is THE TEMPEST, playing at Rialto, The Monterey and The Bridgeway this week. There is also a few more screenings of the National Theatre Live performance of TIMON OF ATHENS; find it at Rialto, The Capitol, Bridgeway and/or The Monterey.
* It's $5 early morning Pixar time again at The Monterey! The incredible THE INCREDIBLES is on at 9:30 AM Saturday and Sunday. Playing nightly at The Vic all week is DOLPHIN BOY, an Israeli documentary about a dude undergoing dolphin therapy after a violent attack. Plus, there're still more screenings of CROSSFIRE HURRICANE, the Rolling Stones documentary. Playing The Bridgeway, The Monterey and The Vic.
All sessions above are accurate at the time of publication. Your best bet would be to check Flicks or the theatre website before attending. Please let us know in the comments if you spy anything we've messed up/missed out!