Wednesday, January 9, 2013
In Cinemas: January 10 - 16
* Fresh from Sundance (a whole year back), thriller-doco THE IMPOSTER is starting this week at The Capitol, The Bridgeway and Rialto Newmarket. Reportedly a dumbfounding example of stranger than fiction, almost everybody seems to agree that this thing is stunning.
* Opening on practically every screen in town this week is the new adaptation of the famous musical LES MISÉRABLES. If watching Hollywood actors sing sounds good to you, this epic features the voices of Hugh Jackman, Anne Hathaway, Russell Ira Crowe, Amanda Seyfried, SBC & HBC. However, if 157 minutes is too daunting, this clip of Cowboy Crowe crooning with Chrissie Hynde is a mere three minutes;
* Also from last year's Sundance, CELESTE AND JESSE FOREVER is now at Rialto Newmarket. This romantic comedy-drama sees a pair trying to stay best pals while going through a divorce. Starring Rashida Jones (who co-wrote the film), Andy Samberg and Elijah Wood (plus Rob Huebel, Chris Messina and Chris Pine).
* Imran Khan's new Hindi rom-com MATRU KI BIJLEE KA MANDOLA (मटरू की बिजली का मंडोला)
is at select multiplexes this week. The trailer offers dancing, comedy dancing and dancing in a tree. Damn, all that dancing has made me wanna watch SITA SINGS THE BLUES again;
The Top Ten lists of Doug & Nige (that's me) went up yesterday, and while there wasn't a lot of crossover, there are films from both lists that are still on local screens!
* SIGHTSEERS is on at The Academy, The Monterey, The Bridgeway and Rialto Newmarket;
* SKYFALL is still playing at a stack of cinemas;
* WRECK-IT RALPH is going nowhere in a hurry;
* ARGO has a few screenings left at Rialto Newmarket;
* BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD is hanging on by a thread at The Academy;
* COMPLIANCE, also still at Academy for a few more screenings;
* SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED has a couple of Academy screenings left according to the Flicks website? Not sure if that's correct...
You'll notice that most of the list above is playing at The Academy, so excuse the quick plug; they've got a new DCP projector (THE LAST TYCOON looked great the other day), lots of promising things on the horizon film-wise (STOKER has just been added to their Coming Soon), as well as a cozy new website (which now differentiates the boutique 16-seater screenings)...
I'm rapt my new office is only a stone's throw!
* There's another bunch of preview screenings this week; Brendan Fraser's new Irish crime-comedy WHOLE LOTTA SOLE has previews at Bridgeway this weekend; Event has Kids' Club Previews of Pixar's newly-3D-ed MONSTERS, INC. on Sunday; and then Wednesday night will be a toss-up between hitting Event's $10 Film Squad Preview of GANGSTER SQUAD or heading on down for Rialto's Film Club screening of THE MASTER (details not up as I write this).
* Another film from Doug's Top Ten Or So, MOONRISE KINGDOM is this week's outdoor screening at Silo Friday evening. The screenings are free and have food stalls and whatnot, so go introduce the whole family to the cinema of Wes Anderson...
* And finally The Vic continues to bring decent programming to The Shore; this week they've got SEVEN PSYCHOPATHS, MONSIEUR LAZHAR and a bunch of others, including daily screenings of Disney's 1940 film, FANTASIA.
All sessions above are accurate at the time of publication. Your best bet would be to check Flicks or the theatre website before attending. Please let us know in the comments if you spy anything we've messed up/missed out!