Thursday, January 3, 2013
In Cinemas: January 3 - 9
* I've been told that while SEVEN PSYCHOPATHS is a long way from IN BRUGES despite having the same director, it's definitely worth a watch. The plot sees Christopher Walken, Sam Rockwell and Colin Farrell steal a dog from mobster Woody Harrelson, but it's the cast that'll get me through the door. As well as those already mentioned, it's got Tom Waits, Harry Dean Stanton, Kevin Corrigan, Michael Pitt and Michael Stuhlbarg. It opened this week at The Academy, The Monterey,
The Bridgeway and on Rialto Newmarket's decent screens.
* THE LAST TYCOON (大上海) is a Chinese film that had its World Premiere just this week (not to be confused with the old De Niro movie where he's a film producer working himself to death). This one is Shanghai gangsters in the early 1900s and stars Chow Yun-fat, Sammo Hung and Francis Ng from RAPED BY AN ANGEL 2: THE UNIFORM FAN (強姦2制服誘惑). The trailer looks pretty cool and I do love me a decent Chow Yun-fat flick every now and then. Here's a bit from his 1988 film TIGER ON BEAT (老虎出差), and while he's not actually in this scene, we do get to see Conan Lee fight Pai Mei himself, Mr. Gordon Liu, with a chainsaw!
* "Starring Werner Herzog as The Zec and Robert Duvall as Cash"…
Man, that sounds like a cool film. Unfortunately JACK REACHER isn't quite that movie. It's instead Tom Cruise as the ex-military-investigator dude from Lee Childs' novel series. There's cool cars, some finger-eating and a bathroom brawl that would've been at home in THE THREE STOOGES.
* I haven't even seen it yet and I'm already sick of 'announcing' it; RISE OF THE GUARDIANS (3D) is now in proper, genuine release, fo' real. A CG family film that sees Alec Baldwin's Russian Santa and his pals take on Jude Law's Boogeyman.
* And still showing; there's a few screenings of the chilling COMPLIANCE left at The Academy, Susanne Bier's latest LOVE IS ALL YOU NEED (DEN SKALDEDE FRISØR) just might be worth a look-see and I'm rapt that the black comedy SIGHTSEERS is going strong. I'm also still plugging WRECK-IT RALPH, the greatest homage to video games of old since this;
REPERTORY / ONE-OFF:
* LES MISÉRABLES begins later next week, so they've got a few preview screenings coming up. Monday 8 PM, Event's Film Squad will be showing it for $16.80 (which includes a glass of bubbles); Hoyts has it on at the same time for $17.50; plus on Wednesday night, Capitol have a fundraising screening, too! You can take your pick of when and where you'll see Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, Anne Hathaway, Amanda Seyfried, SBC & HBC sing their way through this classic tale.
* I'm not sure who asked for it, but Rialto Newmarket has the first of their Italian Encore Screenings this week! MANUAL OF LOVE 3 (aka AGES OF LOVE)(MANUALE D'AM3RE) stars Robert De Niro and Monica Bellucci. And WELCOME TO THE SOUTH (BENVENUTI AL SUD) is a remake of the 2008 French comedy.
* And finally, over Th' Shore, The Vic has Disney's pretty-decent Rapunzel flick TANGLED on for the young 'uns, DIANA VREELAND: THE EYE HAS TO TRAVEL is on for the documentary fans and the Lebanese WHERE DO WE GO NOW? (وهلّأ لوين؟) is playing for you art-house folk.
All sessions above are accurate at the time of publication. Your best bet would be to check Flicks or the theatre website before attending. Please let us know in the comments if you spy anything we've messed up/missed out!